Thursday, May 01, 2008

mmmmm...Hamburgers...mmmmm

Today I chatted with George Motz whose new book is Hamburger America. He originally produced a documentery by the same name and now comes the book with 100 great burger joints. There are four Wisconsin stops included and here is some info on each.

Solly's Grille I have been to Solly's many times and I promise you their's is a burger unlike any other. I doubt that eating at Solly's on a weekly basis would be a good health choice but every now and then is a must. They also serve great french fries and shakes.

Dotty Dumpling's Dowry This joint has been through a few moves in recent years and has been written about many times across the country. While I have not been there in recent years I have enjoyed their burgers. However when in Madison my choice always has been and always will be our next stop...

THE PLAZA TAVERN I first had a Plaza cheesburger as a very little kid in the 60's. My grandmother lived across the street and whenever we stayed with her we would get to go across the street and get a bag of burgers. The sauce is world famous and their fries are very good as well (get a side of plaza sauce to dip the fries). This is a bar and at night was always a a favorite haunt of mine as a UW student. There is a very eclectic mix of patrons, however during lunch you are as apt to find a politician as a street person sitting at the bar with a beer and burger.

Wedl's Hamburger Stand & Ice Cream Parlor I must say I have never tried this place. perhaps this summer I will make a trip and get dinner at the Hamburger stand and take in a Drive In movie at one of Wisconsin's last drive in theaters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home